Are you ready to downsize and enjoy comfortable Chicago senior living? Are you dreaming of a luxurious lifestyle with the best amenities, or are you more interested in affordable senior housing for 55 and older in Chicago? Maybe you’re most looking forward to your own home in an age-restricted community where you don’t need to worry about maintenance.
No matter what retirement looks like to you, you’ll find an overwhelming number of options in the Windy City and the suburbs. This guide covers the best active adult 55 and older communities in Chicago that should be at the top of your list!
What Are 55+ Communities?
55 plus communities are designed specifically for active adults who are 55 or older. These communities come in many forms and may be called retirement communities, retirement villages, or active adult communities.
A 55+ community may have an age restriction and not allow residents or buyers under 55 with some exceptions like a younger spouse. Some are set up like retirement communities with amenities, low or no maintenance, and planned social activities.
Most 55+ communities in Chicago are apartments. A senior apartment in Chicago may or may not offer services and amenities. Some are designed specifically for low-income seniors including about 10,000 senior apartments in Chicago operated by the Chicago Housing Authority (CHA). Others offer upscale amenities.
Not all 55 and older communities in Chicago are apartments, though; some are simply subdivisions or neighborhoods of single-family homes, townhomes, or villas with an HOA. These communities may be age-restricted as well.
Benefits of Living in a 55+ Community
Active adult communities are far from the boring, slow retirement communities of the past. There are many great reasons to consider 55 and older communities in Chicago, not to “slow down” but to fully enjoy your interests and life at your own speed.
- Maintenance-free or low maintenance home options
- Communities are usually located in more walkable areas close to attractions, health care, restaurants, and shopping
- Housekeeping and chef-prepared meals can be included to make life easier
- Amenities can include anything from beauty salons and heated pools to lounges, community gardens, fishing ponds, and fitness centers
- Strong sense of community
- Social calendar, planned activities, social and special interest groups, outings, and more
Renaissance Saint Luke Senior Apartments | Luxury Senior Living in Chicago Close to the Lake
One of the highest rated 55 plus communities in Chicago, Renaissance Saint Luke is located in Chicago’s Lakeview neighborhood on the North Side. Enjoy retirement living at its finest with upscale amenities like heated, indoor garage parking and Chicago’s top attractions within minutes.
Enjoy socializing and developing new interests with a packed social activities calendar and resident-centric programs like movie nights and outings. Go antiquing, visit the Lincoln Park Zoo, stroll through the Belmont Theater District, or lounge along the lake – all just minutes away by bus!
- Address: Renaissance Saint Luke Senior Apartments, 1501 W Belmont Ave #502, Chicago, IL 60657
- Phone: (773) 975-1501
- Housing: Studio, one-, and two-bedroom apartments for rent
- Amenities: Pet friendly, heated indoor garage parking, outdoor garden terrace, large club room, access control, computer room and library, and activities calendar
Mayslake Village Retirement | Affordable Senior Apartments Near Chicago
Mayslake Village has provided affordable senior living in Chicago’s Oak Brook suburb since 1965. This community has about 600 residents and it’s one of the largest federally funded senior living communities. It’s considered a model for affordable independent living thanks to its outstanding service and quality.
Mayslake Village is one of the highest-rated low-income Chicago retirement communities and just 20 miles from downtown. Retain your independence and dignity with a variety of independent living options and supportive services as needed.
There are six different senior living units in the complex including four mid-rise buildings with one-bedroom apartments, villas with separate entrances, and townhouse-style apartments in the Cloister unit. In most units, rent is 30% of income up to a limit. Other units have fixed, affordable rent. Learn about their Chicago senior living rates here.
- Address: Mayslake Village Retirement, 1801 35th St, Oak Brook, IL 60523
- Phone: (630) 850-8232
- Housing: Low-income rental apartments and townhomes with income guidelines
- Amenities: Senior Center, dining room, meditation room, chapel, organized trips, parties, and activities
Trillium Farm | 55+ New Construction Ranch Homes in the Chicago Suburbs
Do you want all the benefits and privacy of living in your own home without the maintenance? Trillium Farm is one of the best 55 and older communities in Chicago with new ranch homes designed for active adults.
This Pulte Homes community offers six floor plans with 2-4 bedrooms and 2-3 car garages, all thoughtfully designed for the 55+ buyer. Pulte Homes is known for its innovative home design with features like spacious backyard patios for outdoor living, USB outlets, touchless faucets, oversized pantries, and low-maintenance materials. Enjoy your own home and outdoor space with the ultimate low-maintenance lifestyle in one of the best retirement communities in the Chicago suburbs.
- Address: Trillium Farm by Pulte Homes, Purnell Road, South of, Garys Mill Rd, Winfield, IL 60190
- Phone: (630) 381-5692
- Housing: Homes for sale starting at $398,000
- Amenities: Close to Cantigny Golf Course, Blackwell Forest Preserve, and downtown Wheaton
Everleigh Vernon Hills 55+ Apartment Homes | Resort-Style Chicago Senior Living Community
Located 37 miles north of Chicago is the suburb of Vernon Hills, a major retail hub for the area and home to some of the best senior apartments in Chicago, IL.
Everleigh Vernon Hills is a pet-friendly, 55+ active adult community outside Chicago known for its stellar amenities and great quality of life. You’ll quickly notice the community’s designer interiors and bright, open feel. Enjoy a maintenance-free lifestyle while you soak up the sun at the pool, have your morning coffee on your private patio, or perfect a new recipe in your gourmet kitchen!
- Address: Everleigh Vernon Hills, 555 Lakeview Pkwy, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
- Phone: (224) 268-8136
- Housing: 1- and 2-bedroom apartments for rent starting at $1,700
- Amenities: Heated pool & jacuzzi with cabanas, theater room, outdoor kitchen, business & entertainment center, coffee bar, game room, great room, fitness center with group classes, community garden, arts studio, event lawn, dog wash station, and outdoor lounge with firepits
Autumn Green at Wright Campus | Comfortable Senior Apartments in Chicago with Independent & Assisted Living Options
Autumn Green at Wright Campus is one of 24 Senior Suites by Senior Lifestyle communities in the Chicago area. Wedged between Clearing and West Lawn, just south of Chicago Midway Airport, Autumn Green is one of the best southwest Chicago retirement communities.
The renovated community has a prairie-style design with activities and amenities that support an active lifestyle. This 55+ community provides 24-hour emergency response and transportation services with the ability to transition to assisted living if you ever need a little help. The campus offers varied entertainment, restaurant-style dining, and scheduled activities ranging from picnics in the park and weekly movie nights and happy hours to religious study groups and fitness classes.
- Address: Autumn Green at Wright Campus, 4239 N Oak Park Ave, Chicago, IL 60634
- Phone: (312) 767-0651
- Housing: One- and two-bedroom apartments with rent starting at $2,950 per month
- Amenities: Pet friendly, beauty salon and barber shop, billiards room, library, courtyard, art center, and scheduled social activities, games, events, and outings
Briarwood Lakes | Gated 55+ Community Near Chicago with Waterfront Homes & Beautiful Scenery
There are many 55 and older communities in Chicago, but few can compare to Briarwood Lakes, one of the most beautiful 55 plus communities in the Chicago suburbs.
This exciting active adult community in Oak Brook is just 20 miles from downtown Chicago yet feels worlds away. The community covers 92 acres with single-story ranch villas and two-story townhomes built around brilliant blue lakes. Surrounded by water, the community has a tranquil feel. Briarwood Lakes is the best development for senior housing for 55 and older in Chicago if you’re looking for outdoor recreation and scenery. Butterfield Country Club and Mayslake Forest Preserve are right outside the community, and just across the highway is Oak Brook’s Central Park, a gorgeous community park with a universal playground, tennis center, and the Splash Island Outdoor Pool.
- Phone: (630) 323-0777
- Housing: Villas & townhomes for sale from the mid $500s to high $700s
- Amenities: Low maintenance, next to to great parks and country clubs, and easy access to nearby entertainment, shopping, dining, & healthcare
Liberty Green | New Construction 55 and Older Community Near Chicago
Another Pulte Homes community worth your attention is Liberty Green in Bolingbrook, a southwest Chicago suburb. One of the top over 55 communities in Chicago, Liberty Green was designed to deliver the low-maintenance lifestyle you’re looking for so you can spend more time doing what matters to you.
Enjoy the perks of new construction and choose the layout that works best for your lifestyle. Do you want a ranch home or do you want to add a second-floor loft for overnight guests? Do you want a single master suite or dual master suites? You’ll have an array of options in one of the newest 55 plus communities near Chicago!
A big highlight of Liberty Green is the 76,000-square-foot Bolingbrook Golf Club right next door! Enjoy a game on the weekend, share drinks with friends at the club house restaurant, and stay active with walking paths and water features. The attractions of Chicago are never far away, either, with a 29-mile drive to downtown Chicago.
- Address: Liberty Green by Pulte Homes, 2041 Samantha Joy Way, Bolingbrook, IL 60490
- Phone: (847) 396-9698
- Housing: Age-restricted new home community with ranch homes starting at $330,000
- Amenities: Low maintenance, age restricted community, and upscale golf course next door
Shorewood Glen | 55+ Gated Community Near Chicago with Stocked Fishing Ponds & Landscaped Grounds
Right across from Cene’s Four Seasons Park in the Shorewood suburb is Shorewood Glen, a close-knit, gated 55 and older community near Chicago where there’s always something fun to do.
What makes Shorewood Glen one of the best choices for senior housing in Chicago? More than 40 organizations and social clubs, friendly neighbors, and great amenities combined with a convenient location right at the crossroads of I-80 and I-55. The Lakeview Lodge is the community social hub with outdoor and indoor pools and a fitness center. Take strolls through the landscaped grounds, fish at one of four ponds in the community, or catch up over a game of cards in the comfortable Lodge.
Shorewood Glen is a Del Webb community with single-family homes and villas or duplexes. There are 765 homes in the active adult community with 22 home models and up to 2,700 square feet of space with optional basements.
- Address: Shorewood Glen by Del Webb, 1415 Justice Ct, Shorewood, IL 60404
- Phone: (800) 355-9322
- Housing: Single-family homes and villas for sale with HOA fees around $250/month
- Amenities: Indoor and outdoor pools, indoor hot tub, fitness center, four stocked fishing ponds, landscaped walking paths, bocce ball, tennis, racquetball, 40+ social clubs, Lodge Lobby with computers, billiards, cards, and games
Map of 55 and Older Communities in Chicago
Does one of these retirement communities in Chicago sound perfect? Once you’ve settled on the community you’ll call home, get in touch with us at Federal Companies for a free estimate to make the move-in as worry-free as your new retirement lifestyle will be.